Work With Us
2023 Festival Season Resident Assistant Stage Director
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis’ (OTSL) Resident Assistant Stage Director is a seasonal, full-time position on an AGMA agreement. They work directly alongside professional AGMA Stage Directors and Stage Managers by assisting with all aspects of production development throughout the rehearsal and performance process. This position will be responsible for the duties of Resident Assistant Stage Director, as described below, on two productions within the Festival Season, in addition to the duties of Assistant Stage Director on one of those productions.
Frequent nights and weekend hours will be required. Physical requirements include repetitive motion, bending, twisting, stooping, and lifting up to 35 lbs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assistant Stage Director responsibilities (for one production in the Festival Season) include:
- Assisting Stage Directors in development of the production.
- Maintaining communication between the production’s creative team and OTSL’s Artistic and Production administrative departments.
- Recording and maintaining production’s blocking notes.
- Creating and maintaining paperwork as determined by each production.
- Assisting in clearly communicating and negotiating daily rehearsal schedule needs with stage manager and scheduler.
- Proofreading daily schedule draft.
- Maintaining and disseminating text changes and musical cuts to cast, covers, and staff.
- Reviewing and recommending modifications to English Supertitles.
- Assisting stage management team with rehearsal room setup as needed.
Additionally, Resident Assistant Stage Director responsibilities (for two productions in the Festival Season) include:
- Attending all performances of assigned productions to ensure the stage director’s intentions are communicated, and a high level of artistry remains throughout the Festival Season; utilizing the show’s Assistant Stage Director notes/blocking/etc. to confirm that the artists and crew are staying true to the originally staged and designed production.
- Communicating directly with artists and crew regarding any minor production amendments as requested by Stage Director or OTSL Administration once productions are in performance.
- Overseeing assigned production’s archival process which includes, but is not limited to: (1) Assistant Stage Director’s blocking score, (2) digital version of the final Assistant Stage Director’s paperwork, and (3) digital version of the Stage Manager’s score.
- Overseeing production brush up rehearsals between performances, as needed.
- Serving as Assistant Stage Director in the staging and production of the Gerdine Young Artist showcase, Center Stage, as determined by the Artistic Director.
Skills, Experience, Qualifications
- 3-5 years assistant stage director experience preferred.
- Ability to read music.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to perform under pressure and maintain professional demeanor.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Ability to perform required physical movements including: bend, twist, stoop, and lift up to 35 lbs.
About Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2022, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 33 world premieres and 28 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults.
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of approximately 40, which grows to nearly 500 during the Festival Season. Several hundred volunteer members of the Opera Theatre Guild provide support for all aspects of Opera Theatre’s work and advocate for the company throughout the greater St. Louis community. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $12 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget
OTSL and the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) have an exclusive collective bargaining agreement. Artists represented by AGMA within the agreement include Resident and Assistant Stage Directors. Individuals in those positions will need to be, or become, members in “Good Standing” with AGMA.
- This is a seasonal, full-time position.
- Dates of Engagement:
- Position 1: approximately April 16, 2023 – June 24, 2023
- Position 2: approximately April 21, 2023 – June 25, 2023
- Compensation: $1,410.22 / week
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume along with a cover letter that describes their interest in the position and outlines their relevant experience and qualifications.
Please email application information to:
Stephanie Nigus, Senior Manager of Artistic Administration
(no calls, please)
At Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, we value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to being an equal employment/engagement opportunity workplace, and will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristics, protected veteran status, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process.
Explore the 2023 Festival Season
Browse individual shows below, or choose a season package and save up to 15%!