Opera on the GO: Treemonisha
Opera on the GO: Treemonisha
Introduce your child to the fantastic world of opera through a free 30-minute semi-staged, sensory-friendly performance of Scott Joplin’s stylish opera Treemonisha, featuring the iconic “A Real Slow Drag” accompanied by piano. Designed for children in grades 3-12 with autism and sensory sensitivities, the performance also includes three mini workshops: Music & Drama, Character & Movement, and Stage Makeup.
This special event will be presented at the Missouri History Museum in partnership with Different Dynamics and The Missouri Historical Society.
Audio description will be provided by MindsEye.
Questions? Contact our Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (314) 963-4251.
Free (Advance registration required)
10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Doors open at 9:30 a.m.)
Missouri History Museum
Audiences must use the South (Forest Park side) entrance of the museum.
What is a sensory-friendly performance?
Sensory-friendly performances create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all and are specifically designed for children and adults with autism and sensory sensitivities. Staff, artists, and volunteers are trained to best support the experience of all audience members. The following accommodations will be made.
- House lights will remain at a low level during the performance.
- Patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance.
- A staffed sensory-room will be available outside of the auditorium for anyone who needs to take a quiet break during the event. Sensory items will be available to utilize in the room, including noise-canceling headphones and weighted blankets. Audience members are welcome to bring their own tools to support their sensory needs.
- A social story and study guide will be provided prior to the event to help your group prepare for the full experience.
- Attendance will be limited to 60 children, accompanied by their families and caretakers, to support a relaxed environment.
Additional Accessibility Information
The Missouri History Museum is wheelchair accessible. Please indicate on the registration form if anyone in your party requires wheelchair seating.
Audiences must use the South (Forest Park side) entrance of the museum. This entrance has no elevation and is equipped with power-assist automatic door openers.
The event will take place primarily on the lower level of the building. Two elevators, located near the south entrance, access all three levels.
Men’s and women’s restrooms are located on all three levels of the building. Each has an accessible stall. Single-occupancy, family-assist accessible bathrooms are located on all three levels.
The Missouri History Museum has two free parking lots located on the east and west sides of the building. Each lot has eight accessible parking spaces. If these spots are all in use, the next closest accessible parking spaces are located in the Forest Park Visitors’ Center parking lot.
Service animals are welcome!
This program is presented in partnership with Different Dynamics and The Missouri Historical Society.
Opera on the GO! is made possible in part by the Bayer Fund and the Saigh Foundation.
Audio Description provided by MindsEye.