Work With Us
Seasonal Box Office Assistant Manager
The Box Office Assistant Manager is a temporary full-time position which supports the day-to-day management and reporting of Opera Theatre’s box office, ultimately contributing to Opera Theatre’s broader marketing and PR team. The position is primarily responsible for mastering basic to intermediate functions of the company’s ticketing software and for understanding and implementing best practices in customer service, in order to supervise and support other junior members of the seasonal box office staff. This position will be one of three shift supervisors during the opera season, along with the full-time Associate Director for Audience Services and Box Office Systems & Operations Manager. Expected dates of employment are March 2023 through the end of July 2023.
- Assist patrons by phone, email, and at the box office window in selecting performances and seating for all ticketed Opera Theatre events, opera performances, lecture series, special events, and pre-show picnics;
- Assist with donations by phone, email, and at the box office window;
- Support and accurately code and process internal ticket requests from Opera Theatre staff for artists, press, donors, or other VIPs;
- Staff the will call window prior to performances and during intermissions as needed;
- Assist with the printing and distribution of patron tickets;
- Manage mobile box office needs at offsite events as required;
- Maintain a clean and healthy work environment, ensuring current marketing materials are prominently displayed for patrons and staff;
- Assist with group sales efforts including outreach, booking, package development, and on-site coordination.
- Complete miscellaneous box office projects as directed by the Associate Director for Audience Services.
- Build and maintain Tessitura skills across ticketing and reporting;
- Assist with basic ticket, picnic, and sales reports as requested by the Associate Director for Audience Services;
- Assist the Associate Director for Audience Services in training, onboarding, and supervising seasonal Box Office Representatives;
- Maintain clear and accurate patron and sales records in every customer interaction.
Staff Supervision & Customer Service
- Offer friendly and respectful customer service to all patrons and internal constituents in accordance with Opera Theatre’s standards of service;
- Ensure that seasonal Box Office Representatives are also offering outstanding customer service to all patrons and internal constituents;
- Assist seasonal Box Office Representatives with basic questions about ticket sales and donations;
- Assist the Box Office Systems and Operations Manager in creating weekly schedules for seasonal Box Office Representatives;
- Alongside the Associate Director for Audience Services and Box Office Systems & Operations Manager, act as the shift supervisor when on site and manage seasonal staff accordingly;
- Provide accurate information about Opera Theatre, including background on singers, company history, parking, dining options, and “how to” information for first time opera-goers.
Hours & Compensation
Compensation: $19 / hour
This is a temporary, part-time, non-exempt position.
Expected engagement: March 2023 – June 2023
Required Skills, Experience, & Qualifications
- High school diploma;
- 2-3 years’ experience in box office, customer service, or retail preferred but not required;
- 2-3 years’ experience in managing a customer service team (such as a retail store or another box office) preferred but not required;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office preferred but not required;
- Familiarity with Tessitura preferred but not required.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Friendly and outgoing attitude;
- Strong interpersonal management skills;
- Ability to set clear expectations of junior staff and hold staff accountable;
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to work as a team player;
- Ability to perform under pressure and maintain a professional demeanor;
- Aptitude for learning new computer software systems quickly;
- Strong attention to detail.
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume along with a cover letter that describes their interest in the position and outlines their relevant experience and qualifications (no calls please).
At Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, we value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to being an equal employment/engagement opportunity workplace, and will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristics, protected veteran status, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process.